An empath is a person who can sense, feel, and even experience the moods, emotions, and energies of those around them. For the inexperienced empath, these might seem like random unprovoked mood swings (in those without a mental illness in which these are a symptom) or gut feelings that you can’t explain. It can be hard to deal with, so I’ve put together this short list of tips and tricks to help any empath, newly realized or not.
- Know yourself.
- Learn to recognize which emotions belong to you and which do not. The best way of doing this is knowing yourself and how you react to certain situations. If you’re in a situation and you react in a way that is not typical for you, you are probably experiencing the emotions of someone around you. You should know yourself, your experiences, and your typical reactions in order to properly gauge if what you’re experiencing is truly yours.
- Learn to shield yourself.
- It is important for an empath to learn proper shielding techniques that work for them. This is a vital part of protecting yourself from any residual or negative energy or emotions around you. One simple technique for shielding yourself can include enchanting objects, typically jewelry, to be worn when out in public that absorb that energy before it hits you. Another simple technique is to literally create an energy shield. This can be created with visualization and energy direction to create a literal bubble around you that either absorbs the energy or bounces it back to where it came from.
- Know when to quit.
- You won’t be able to protect yourself 100% of the time and it is important to know when you need a break. If you’re using your own energy to create a physical barrier between you and the emotions of others, that can be energetically draining on you. Know when you need to call it quits and go home to recuperate.
- Have an energetic “toolbox”.
- If there isn’t an opportunity to quit and go home, have some tools at your disposal to recuperate quickly. For some, this could be taking a break and meditating. For others, this might be having a quick bite of your favorite snack. You always want to make sure you’re drinking enough water and getting enough sleep as well.
- Take care of yourself.
- This goes with your toolbox, but it is important to take care of yourself in all ways: mind, body, and spirit. Think of it this way. If you work out extremely hard and get sore, then go home and have to walk up 3 flights of stairs, its going to be a difficult task. The same goes for energetic feats as well. If you work yourself too hard and don’t give time for recuperation and rest, protecting yourself from further stress and emotional invasions is going to be difficult.
Do you have any other suggestions? How do you protect yourself from unwanted emotional invasions? Do you have any other simple techniques to share with newly discovered empaths?