Grounding and centering yourself is important because what happens if you take on too much excess energy? That can lead to several different things, but I find the most common symptoms of energy overload to be anxious feelings, jitteriness, fatigue, and exhaustion. Learning how to ground yourself and balance your energy will help to combat energy overload.
You should also know how to read the energy in the room. Most people do this without realizing it. Have you ever walked into a room and felt immediately angry, or that the air seemed thing? Chances are the people that were in the room before you were having a heated argument. You're picking up on that risidual energy of anger and tension. This is important if you're not doing energy work in a natural environment, i.e. outside in nature. If someone has recently had an argument in the room you require for your energy work, it would be highly beneficial to clear out the residual energy before you do your work. Not doing so can lead to distractions and energy interference.
So, what's energy work used for? Most often, its used for healing sessions or cleansing purposes. In spellwork, energy work is only part of the process. When casting a spell, it is important to have knowledge of energy work to know how to direct your energy to your specific purpose. You can also borrow the energy from the environment around you, but I only recomend doing so if you have a good relationship with the object/place/entity you're borrowing energy from.
Practice Exercise One: Room Reading
- Go into a random room in your home that anyone else also has access to. If you live alone, try this with offices at work, breakrooms, etc.
- Close your eyes and focus on the energy in the room.
- What do you feel?
- Try to figure out what happened in that room before you got there. Details aren't important at this point, just emotions. Was there an argument? Was there joy? Was there disappointment?
Practice Exercise Two: Energy Balls
- This is the most common form of practice in energy work. You're going to create a ball of energy in your hands! Practice this as often as you want to get a feel for how energy feels close to your skin. When you get better at it, try redirecting the ball of energy into something else.
- Hold your hands a few inches apart from each other, palms facing.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths, imagining the energy between your palms. If you have trouble visualizing this, I like to imaging the scene in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 where Peter Quill meets his dad and they play catch with an energy ball (check it out here)
- Move your hands closer together, then farther away, slowly, building the energy between your palms.
- When you feel an adequate amount of energy, form that into a ball.
- How does it feel? Is it warm? Is it cool? Is it heavy?
- Keep practicing until drawing this energy in becomes second nature!
Do you have an energy work techniques or practice tips? Share them below!